The top 10 actors I would most likely vote for should they run for President (please note that in this particular scenario my decision has nothing whatsoever to do with how well they might be able to run the country and everything to do with how awesome they are otherwise):
10. Kevin Kline – Have you seen Dave? Go rent it. Really. Because how can you NOT want Kevin Kline as president after hearing his rendition of Hail to the Chief? “Hail to the Chief, he’s the one we all say hail to.”
9. Bill Pullman – If you don’t trust Bill Pullman to save your country (and the world) from alien invasion after seeing Independence Day, well then you just don’t have any faith. Not only is he totally dashing (a fantastic presidential characteristic), he’s level headed and cool as a cucumber.
8. Diane Keaton – She’s confident, strong, no-nonsense but not without a sense of humor. Oh, and also, when I vote for her I’m not voting for her character in The First Wives Club, I’m voting for her in The Family Stone. Just so that’s clear.
7. Colin Firth – Why not have a Brit? Since I’m making the rules here, I say I’ll take a State of the Union Address with a British accent ANY DAY.
6. Annette Benning – While I know she wasn’t the president in An American President, her character made me think she could have been. Which is why Annette has my vote. She fights for the little guy.
5. Don Cheadle – I just love him…don’t you?
4. Sigourney Weaver – Sigourney Weaver could rule the country and the world and she’d kick some ass and take some names along the way – all while looking totally stunning. Like Bill Pullman, she could also totally save us from Alien (get it? Alien???) domination.
3. Michael Douglas – If Annette Benning’s performance in An American President as the president’s girlfriend earns her a place on this list, then certainly Michael Douglas earned his spot by playing the president. He also rocked my socks off in The Game. Which is why he’d have my vote.
2. Tom Hanks – I mean, the name speaks for itself. If Ronald Reagan can be president when all he did on the silver screen was play a cowboy, then Tom Hanks can certainly take over – he’s brilliant. And also selfless…he did offer to jump into a volcano to save a small island. “He can GET the job, but can he DO the job.” Heck yes he can! – “I’m not arguing that with you!”
1. Morgan Freeman – Okay, I’d have a hard time not voting for Morgan Freeman for president if he really ran. Seriously. Even if you only take his performance as the voice over guy for Visa, I’d still vote for him. But when you add in The Shawshank Redemption and Batman Begins (that is purely a reference to his particular character, not the movie as a whole)? How could anyone in their right mind NOT vote for this man?
I hope you found that entertaining and took it as a glimpse into how my twisted mind works…but not as any sort of insight into how I actually vote. Just so that’s clear.